Thursday, October 28, 2010

Christian Chameleons

Seems like a lot of good pastors enjoy the "Discovery Channel" or "Animal Kingdom"... things along those lines. I have to admit, I can understand why they enjoy it so much. There are so many analogies that can be drawn from interesting facts of life.

Take the chameleon. I always thought the main reason a chameleon changed color was to protect itself-via-camouflage. Well, there are many countless varieties of those cute little lizards... some of which many people would say were not so cute and not that little. Personally, I think they are cute. But, hey, that's me. Important random note: I love that little green gecko on the commercials. You know - the one with an accent? Sorry. I digress...

Back to chameleons. The word is out that scientist are re-assessing their original belief that the species primarily changed color for protection reasons. I want you to know I was shocked when I heard that. Anyway, scientist have now come to the conclusion that our lizard friends actually change their color in response to light exposure and temperature, as well as to express their mood.
Even emotions and attraction of a mate can induce the color changes. It is also a way to communicate. Oh! And did I tell you that the change of appearance can occur in only 20 seconds?!

What does this have to do with Christians? I was just thinking it was interesting to note that when a Christian lives in God's Light... his appearance or demeanor, transforms him. When surroundings or circumstances "heat up" - change takes place again. When we let our emotions take over... "Control-Shift". Just looking at Christians - or any "transparent" person is like looking at a mood ring. Our appearance changes as our body language takes over. And the change can be very quick. It looks like all of us have the tendency to allow ourselves to become...

Christian Chameleons

No comments: