Friday, February 11, 2011

Just Okay...

Sigh...Some people are amazing writers. I admire the way they so clearly communicate what they want to say. Alas, I am not a writer. Not a "real" one.

Reminds me of singing. I love to sing. Can even hold a tune. Harmony comes fairly easily to me. But I'm not a "Singer". I don't have amazing vocals, hence...a soloist I am not.

I'm an "okay" singer. I'm an "okay" writer. Everything I do seems to be "okay" at best. Hence, the sigh at the beginning of this "okay" blog post.

Do you ever feel like that? You don't want to whine or complain...but everything seems to fall into the mediocre category?

The problem with dwelling on those thoughts is that I am focusing on what I can't do and allowing the lie that Satan wants me to believe, to enter my thinking. The lie that says that because I can't do certain things as well as other people means I am nothing but an "okay" person.

As much as I hate to admit it... I choose to think that of my own accord. Nobody twisted my arm in torture as they forced that statement from my lips. No. I do it all by my little self!

You know what good things I do have in abundance?

I have a big heart.
I try hard.
I am persistent.

None of those things will gain me any accolades. It is unlikely that I will derive a six figure income with a big heart. But it is what God gave me. He gives all His children something special. It may not be what your neighbor has, or what seems to abound in your friends.

Yes, I admit that many times I wish I were more than mediocre at certain things. But I have a question for you. Do you ever wish that you were really good at something, but instead you are...

Just okay?

6 comments:

Clint said...

I honestly used to feel that way. But I don't any more. God did give us all unique personalities, and He wants us to make the most of them. I know beaucoup folks who are very talented in one or more areas, but they don't use that God-given talent. Then there are people who are "average" at singing, or public speaking, etc, etc---but they are so full of enthusiasm when they do it that people hearing them are blown away. Besides, God does not call the equipped---He equips the called. Blessings.

redshift said...

I kind-of like how Clint expressed it. "God does not call the equipped- He equips the called."
God knows the extent of our abilities...He created us after all. But He also gives us free will to use our abilities or, sometimes abuse our abilities.
All I know is that everyone is prone to feel mediocre from time to time...perhaps even Jesus in the garden.
Hang in there Shay!

Sharon said...

Yes, I do feel that way at times. I think we all do, if we're honest.

But Shay - you are far more than mediocre! DO NOT listen to those lies! And I'm going to add a little something to what you said:

"None of those things will gain me any accolades." Oh, my friend. I would just add one little word to that phrase.

None of those things will gain me any accolades...now.

God is the Giver of good gifts here and now - but He is also the One who will reward them in eternity. I'm thinking that your crown is going to SHINE!!

GOD BLESS!

Toyin O. said...

This such a great post Tonya; I think what is okay, God can turn into amazing when we place them in his mighty hands. if you ask God to turn you into a better than Okay writer or singer for his glory; I am sure that he will. And if he doesn't, then you accept what he has given you and thank God that you are not less than okay. The key to contentment is to never comapare ourselves to others. We are called to do different things, if we all have the same kind of talent, it will be a boring world. I have a lot of areas that I am just okay, I continually pray for improvement, and glady accept what God chooses to do in thess areas.

Deborah said...

Ya, and the older I get the more I realize I'm just 'okay' but that's okay! :O)

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

You're not a writer? Could've fooled me!

God's gifts come in seed form and require development on our part. As we take those steps, He brings growth and fruitfulness.

Blessings,
Susan :)