Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday Review !

I'll be a bit on the brief side today. Alas...I don't feel too well, but I did want to give you a
quick update at least.

Last Monday I told you I would be going to a Crisis Pregnancy Center to ask them if there was anything I could do to help.

I have to say, I was really surprised. "Shelly" - the director I spoke to - was really very open. Much more than I would have expected. Turns out she has been giving and giving for so many years, that she had been experiencing a type of "disconnect" from people. What I mean by that, is that she was so accustomed to people needing things from her that she was almost afraid to form any type of relationship with anybody for fear they would be another needy person.

Don't misunderstand me. She was and continues to be extremely willing to give. Her love of all people is from God and it is very strong. She was simply acknowledging her human-ness.

I felt very honored that she would open up like that. Yes, there center always needs contributions and yes, she told me the hours they could use volunteers and that she would train them - but it seemed to me that my biggest "contribution" was to simply ask her what I could do for her.

She wasn't accustomed to that.

I wonder how many more "giving" people there are out there that are feeling alone?

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I think that most "giving" people have a problem with feeling alone. It's tiring work to be a servant - it goes against our nature (our sinful nature) to give to others without expecting return.

It's a shame, but it's true - giving people often just "burn out."

How wonderful of you, Shay, to offer this woman a voice of encouragement. We ALL need that...

Hope you're feeling better soon.

GOD BLESS!

Clint said...

I hope you are feeling better. It is a beautiful thing to reach out and volunteer to help others. Good for you. God bless.