Monday, March 1, 2010

Failureobia

Yeah, well, it should be a word! After all, the fear of failure is at the forefront of our minds much of the time. Perhaps you would prefer using another word. Dislike, hatred, whatever. The point is: nobody likes failure. You say you don't feel like a failure? Uh, how about when you are late somewhere, or you didn't have enough money in the bank to cover that last check? Maybe you like it when your boss is less than happy with your performance. I didn't think so.

Tim Hansel, in his book "Holy Sweat" ,shared some insight as well as a good story that I would like to pass on to you.

Failures, he said, are only temporary setbacks at worst, and bits of wisdom at best.
Attitude is key. Take Thomas Edison. In the process of inventing the light bulb, he failed almost 8,000 times. "They weren't failures," he said. "They were education."

There is a true story about a project manager at IBM who lost the company 10 million dollars. Dejectedly, he walked into the president's office and said, "I'm sorry. I'm sure you'll want my resignation. I'll by gone by the end of the day."

The president's response showed his understanding of the value of failure. He said "Are you kidding? We've just invested 10 million dollars in your education. We're not about to let you go. Now get back to work."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Could it be, that my failures could eventually result in not only my success - but other's success as well?