Monday, September 27, 2010

Die-Hard !

I've heard that expression in both positive and negative terms. Positive source: A regiment in the 1800's was actually called the "Die-Hards" because of their resiliency and determination to fight to the bitter end. On the negative side: RE: Public Hangings. A die hard was literally a person who would die reluctantly, resisting to the end.

When it comes to our habits, (and it seems like a significant amount of them are bad), the expression, "Die-Hard" comes to mind. What habits are difficult for you to break? Yeah, sure, there are the obvious things like "it's hard to stop eating sweets" or "watching T.V endlessly"... things like that. But what about habits that are so embedded into our pysche that to rid ourselves of them seems virtually impossible?

Take me, for example. I have a lot of mindsets that need major adjustments. I could list them all but for the sake of time, I will limit it to one negative mindset that I want to kill, but is dying reluctantly, resisting to the end. What is it? I continue to allow myself to be run by my feelings. Oh? You don't think that's bad? Think again. When every little emotion attempts to dictate all your actions... that's something that's gotta go. But it is a die-hard. A die-hard I don't appreciate.

But guess what? I'm also a die-hard... and maybe you are too! The question is, "Who is going to die first... me or my bad habits?"

I'm shooting for the "Die Hard" regiment. What about you?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I know what you mean because I know YOU.......but, I think it goes much deeper and is much more complicated a subject! Here are just a few opinions on feelings to ponder:


Just remember that what makes us human is our emotions and feelings.....without them we would be robots.

We fear violence less than our own feelings. Personal, private, solitary pain is more terrifying than what anyone else can inflict.


When one has the feeling of dislike for evil, when one feels tranquil, one finds pleasure in listening to good teachings; when one has these feelings and appreciates them, one is free of fear.

We must become acquainted with our emotional household: we must see our feelings as they actually are, not as we assume they are. This breaks their hypnotic and damaging hold on us.

You cannot make yourself feel something you do not feel, but you can make yourself do right in spite of your feelings.

Fanaticism obliterates the feelings of humanity.

If you make music for the human needs you have within yourself, then you do it for all humans who need the same things. You enrich humanity with the profound expression of these feelings.

My reason, it's true, controls my feelings, but whatever its authority, it doesn't rule them so much as tyrannize them.

When I read great literature, great drama, speeches, or sermons, I feel that the human mind has not achieved anything greater than the ability to share feelings and thoughts through language.


We have a society in which one of the greatest things you can do is a platform to see victim status, and one of the qualifications for that is that you have these exquisitely tender feelings about things and sensibilities which are easily offended.

Behaviors are a choice. Feelings are sometimes out of our control. Behavior has to do with choices.

The most sinister aspect of Jack is his detachment, his ability to distance himself from his feelings

If you went to your closet today, would you pull out the same outfit you wore 10 or 15 years ago? You wear feelings and faith differently as well.

When you start suppressing feelings at an early age, it hurts you down the road. Full expression of anger and pain is very important.

Positive feelings come from being honest about yourself and accepting your personality, and physical characteristics, warts and all; and, from belonging to a family that accepts you without question.

She goes from one addiction to another. All are ways for her to not feel her feelings.

When a man is able to connect with his feelings, he is able to care more.

Feelings are not supposed to be logical. Dangerous is the man who has rationalized his emotions.

Feelings are like a color chart that God has given us.

I've always been aware of having feelings that were pretty intense at times. I imagine most people have had that, or they wouldn't be human.

I learned to be with myself rather than avoiding myself with limiting habits; I started to be aware of my feelings more, rather than numb them.

Maturity is the ability to think, speak and act your feelings within the bounds of dignity. The measure of your maturity is how spiritual you become during the midst of your frustrations.


Or heritage and ideals, our code and standards - the things we live by and teach our children - are preserved or diminished by how freely we exchange ideas and feelings.

Unknown said...

You made some great points. Feelings should be acknowledged and even enjoyed. But, like it says in proverbs somewhere, "He who has no rule over his spirit is like a city broken down, without walls."

Anonymous said...

There is always a balance to be found between extremes......

Anonymous said...

lol you guys are so funny. I think i understood like 2% of what you said...

:)

Unknown said...

Hmm... not sure what "anonymous" meant when he or she said referred to the writer of this post as "you guys". I am only one person. :) Shay

Anonymous said...

haha, this is adrienne

i was refering to you and the other "anonymous" person...

so please enlighten me... no comprendo so far :)