Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What's Your Reaction Action?

The other day I was talking with a bunch of people about the importance of the "reaction stage". Huh? So, what's that? Bottom-line, it is usually seen as a time in a persons life when they "explode". Pent up anger or some type of negative emotion finally decides to "unpent". The person may release their rage through drugs, alcohol, or acting out in some negative fashion.

I was pensive as I sank deep into my chair and contemplated my growing up years. Why hadn't I experienced this "reactive" stage that is supposed to be so typical and even somewhat necessary in the normal development of a person that has experienced an accumulation of past difficulties? Was there something wrong with me? (BTW, those are the kind of thoughts that I plague myself with many a day... which must be one reason why I long for sleep). So, back to the question. Am I normal? Why didn't I have a reactive stage?

Then, not one... but two light bulbs went off in my head. Wanna know what hit me like a lightning bolt? I didn't have one reaction - I had two. My first realization was when it dawned on me that withdrawal from the world is a reaction. Call it silence or passive aggressive behavior. But yes, my reaction was to refrain from action. To withdraw from a world that had hurt me. I repressed all my emotions at an early age. Withdrawal and repression formed my first reaction. It could be yours, too.

Second revelation... or reaction. I realized that when I finally began to understand emotions and feel again - my emotions exploded and ruled my every action. Do emotions rule your actions as well?

All this to ask you... "What's Your Reaction Action"?

3 comments:

Mike E said...

It's hard to face ourselves. I get so amazed when I see people growing in awareness of themselves, of God and others. Emotions lead to actions--even if they are passive actions. Great insight.

Jill said...

Balance is usually found after the pendulum has swung to both extremes............

I truly believe you will find your emotional balance with time....

david z said...

Is God emotional? How does He express His emotion? He expresses His emotion in action. "For God so loved the world that He gave..." "The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much." When you barbeque meat, the embers that remain are just as hot as the flames before them. They are able to cook the meat more effectively, in fact.
Our experience of emotion is a valid part of our emotional lives. But when we employ them in serving others - and God by extension - they gain clarity, focus and effectiveness.