Thursday, October 21, 2010

It Just Ain't Natural!

The truth is... life will oftentimes require us to do something that isn't in us to do, naturally. Are consequences always bad? No, of course not. However, in order to experience consequences that we want, well, we usually have to pay for it in some way. But can we? Some people will suggest self-sacrifice. Perhaps a willingness to love the unlovely. What about forgiving those who wrong you?

Those are all good points and are things that we can even "do"...for a while. If you are in a really good frame of mind and are emotionally in high gear, chances are good that you will be able to "pull yourself up by your bootstraps"...and "get crackin". Sigh... yes, you who know me well- recognize that sigh, don't you?

So what point am I trying to make? My point is simply that I don't have the strength to continue applying all those good things that were mentioned in the first paragraph. I can only "self-sacrifice" for so long. My love for people is strong, but sometimes I just don't 'have it in me'. And forgiving? Well, I'm supposed to... but where do I get the strength? Let's see, doesn't the Bible say we should basically always be in forgiveness mode? Yes, it does. As a matter of fact, it refers to those very good traits as the Fruits of the Spirit...not the fruits of man.

Bottom line is: I can't do it in my own strength, indefinitely. But the Holy Spirit in me can... and He will direct me to people or into circumstances that will help me when He chooses. The Holy Spirit can do these things because it is natural for Him to be, well, Supernatural. But for us...

It Just Ain't Natural!

No comments: