Saturday, October 23, 2010

Are you "working God" or letting God work in you?

I think, a lot of times, people try to "work" God... instead of letting Him "work" in them. You know, like when people try to "work" the system? I hate that. In the long run, it only hurts. Not only the individual, but eventually groups of people, communities and even societies are affected. But that is for another day. Right now, I want to ask you a question.

Are you working God or letting God work in you? Hey, think about it. I'm serious. I believe a majority of Christians are more focused on "working God" than letting Him work in them. Why do I say that? Well, let me ask you another question. Do you have to be in control of situations? No? Is that why you get terribly upset when things don't go your way? The fact of the matter is: most of us want to be in control of our lives.

To live this life is both extremely easy and incredibly difficult at the same time. Why? I believe the main reason is because we can't let go. To acknowledge God as our creator is - in our estimation - our way of doing God a big favor. I've got news for you. He doesn't need any favors from us. However, He would like to love us and knows that if we completely trusted Him and actually believed and incorporated His promises into our daily lives, well - life would fall into the "extremely easy" category.

The hard part of living in this world isn't due so much to life circumstances, as much as it is our difficulty in letting God work in us as He works through us. Instead, we "work God" as we attempt to bring Him down to our level.

What does that look like for you? I'll tell you what it looks like for me on Monday.

No comments: