Monday, October 25, 2010

Somethin to Chew On...

Let's see. Last time we spoke I told you I would tell you what "Working God" looked like in my life. For most people, "working God" would imply some sort of manipulation on our parts. We may not even be aware of it. (If I pray enough, God will do this. If I give enough He will bless me, etc.) As for me, I would like to tell you about three groups of people that I see in this world...as it relates to spirituality, including mine. (And no, this is not the beginning of a joke).

1) There are those that don't know God. Or perhaps they believe in some sort of God, but they can't accept Jesus as God. I would say the majority of the world's population falls into this category. I'm not trying to be patronizing or anything... I just see that as a reality, that's all.

2) Those who believe in God and fit Him into their schedule. The beginning of their journey usually starts with going to church on Sunday. It evolves into Sunday and a Bible Study. As they mature they might start praying more often. Perhaps include a mid-week Bible Study. Maybe they will incorporate daily journaling as time goes by. They're on a roll now! Prayer meetings and fasting are tapped in to. The point is: God gets scheduled into their daily lives more easily now - if they haven't abandoned ship already. As you read this you may be wincing because you are indignant. Perhaps that is because it sounds like I am describing you. The fact is, I am describing myself at this stage in my life. I've known for a couple of years now, that something was wrong. This is not what God had in mind for His children. I know it. But it is a start. A good start... but it isn't the "end all" of Christianity by a long shot. You see, to people who don't really understand true biblical Christianity, Christians are simply a group of religious people on a spiritual power trip. And you know what? More often than not - they're right. If you haven't jumped ship you are very possibly like a "saved" Pharisee. Someone who is "Working God". (That is not to say that God is not at work in people that are "working God").

3)The people who believe in Jesus - but don't fit Him into their schedule. Alas, not as many people fall into this category. No, these people don't fit Jesus into their schedule...their lives. Jesus is their life. All the time. Every moment of every day. He is the air they breathe - and it isn't just a song. It's reality. Pure reality. These people have chosen to allow God to continue working in them...no matter how difficult it may have been. They are usually unsung hero's.

But is it really humanly possible to continually incorporate God's love into our lives and be a witness of His love and power in all the ups and downs that we experience every day? Well, it was true for Paul. He experienced incredibly difficult hardships. Yet he, himself, said "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain". But the truly amazing thing about Paul and that statement is that he didn't wish to die so that he could escape this world of pain and torment. No. He only wanted to be closer to Christ. Wow. No. I'm not there yet.

So, I said I would tell you what "working God" looked like in my life. As much as I hate admitting it, the latter part of #2 is where I am at this stage...hoping that someday I'll be in the third category.

I discovered that the number three stands for "that which is solid, real, substantial and complete". Hmmm...somethin to chew on.

No comments: