Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Turn Your Life Down... It's Too Loud!

How can a persons life be too loud? You probably have some ideas of your own and I would love to hear it, after all... "there is wisdom in a multitude of counselors". But as for me - what do I think of when I think of a life that is so loud it needs to be turned down? Hhmmm...let me think.

Tick, tock, tick,tock...

Okay, I'm back. The word that keeps popping into my head is "distractions". A loud life doesn't necessarily equal the volume control on your music station. Distractions take countless forms. I'll tell you what my distractions are. You can comment on yours. I'm thinking that whatever takes your mind off God is a distraction. Are all distractions bad? No, I sure don't think so. Hey... I gotta eat, and I rather enjoy it I might add. It certainly is not a negative experience- unless of course, you are a kid whose mother is forcing you to eat beets that you can't stand the smell of. But for the most part, eating is a good thing. Lots of things are good. However, when you have so much on your plate that you can't keep your priorities straight or you have so much to do that you don't even have time for a quick breakfast...it's time to do some re-evaluating.

But I digress. I was going to tell you at least one distraction that I am aware of in my life. It is so loud I can't hear God's voice. Nobody can see, therefore it is unlikely they would guess it was a problem.

So, what is it? I lie. Not to others. I'm squeaky clean when it comes to telling the truth to people other than "yours truly". My problem is that I lie to myself all the time. Quietly, so nobody can disagree with me. I tell myself things like, "I'm worthless. If I were to die today, nobody would even care...as a matter of fact, they would be better off. I'm ugly. The job I have doesn't pay much because I am worth so little. I'll never amount to anything". The list of lies I listen to on a daily basis is loud. Very loud...and I need to turn it down. For that matter, I need to turn it off completely. Aahh... so much easier said than done.

Some things need to be turned off, other things simply need to be turned down. When we recognize that and quiet our lives, we will have the opportunity to hear God better. The Bible says, "Be still and know that I am God".

Ask yourself...

Is It Time to Turn My Life Down...Could It Be Too Loud?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your point about lying to yourself, we seem to forget that we ourselves are included in the commandment "thou shalt not bear false witness"
I think of being loud as being to opinionated, always expressing your opinion even when it is enough

Unknown said...

Yes, I agree. Sharing your thoughts or ideas is one thing - but being almost hostile in your opinion is another. Thanks for your viewpoint.