Thursday, January 20, 2011

Count First...Then Prepare for War!

Say what?! Am I suggesting you prepare for... violence?

No, of course not.

As Christians, most of us have learned all about spiritual warfare. That is, we are familiar with that phrase. But how well do we grasp the continual reality of the spiritual battles that are all around us?

Most Christians - myself included - don't mean to, but there is a tendency in all of us to simply live life and forget about what is going on around us...unless it affects us, that is.

So what can we do about that?

This has actually been gnawing on my subconscious mind for a while now. I say subconscious because in my conscious mind I try my best to avoid anything that might be unpleasant or difficult for me.

Don't worry. I won't throw out the "get out of your comfort zone" card. You, like me, have probably heard that one too many times. Oh. And I won't tell you to take your head out of the sand or anything. Besides...I like ostriches. They have those awesome eyes!

But I will share with you something that I learned! Count First...then Prepare for War!

What do I mean by that? Simple. The first thing you do is... count. Count the places within a 10 mile radius of you that have hurting people in them.

Walk to those places!

Ask them how you can help them.

Respond to them in love.

In my next post, I will tell you what I counted in my area and I will go into more detail. In the meantime...

Start Counting !

3 comments:

Jan Cline said...

I love this. My husband and I have been discussing this very thing lately. I think God is calling his church to do just what you suggest. When I asked God for a word to inspire me for the year He told me "prepare." Dont know exactly what that means for me, but it's something we all need to do.
Blessings

Pamela said...

Oh I love ideas for shelter--the passion of my heart. 10 miles doesn't seem far, but many people are hurting in that radius. Bless you for caring about others!

Sharon said...

Such a great idea - WAR begins at home, huh?!! :)

GOD BLESS!