Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A Matter of Heart...

You always wanted to know what you would be like when you grew up. Of course, when you were a teenager you thought anyone out of high school was grown up. Then you got to college and realized that an adult was 30 years old and a middle aged person was 35. Yep! That was my firm belief, anyway. Alas, when I reached that age I quickly changed my tune and sang in a different key!

My first strong clue that I was off-base was when I hit the mid-thirties without experiencing a mid life crisis. You see, as I matured I realized that middle age doesn't set in until you are 40! Yes, my knowledge of people was certainly abounding! So, I adjusted my thinking cap and waited. Time passed and passed and passed until one day I looked in the mirror and to my horror I saw the reflection of a womans face with two problems that do not belong together!

Yes, I had both wrinkles and pimples! How can this be!?! Must I yet again re-evaluate the life of a human being? Or perhaps I had ascertained life correctly - but I simply wasn't normal? I have to admit that that thought had some merit. Over the years I noticed that other people my age were getting older...but I wasn't. How could that be? Wait a second...my daughters are normal and they are getting older.

I, therefore, decided that getting older was perfectly fine...it was the getting old part that didn't thrill me.

One day, with much consternation over the age issue, I spewed verbal vomit all over my husband as I bemoaned the condition of man - vs- age.

"I don't want to get old!" I cried.

"Don't worry" said my husband. He picked up a book and turned it over to the picture on the back cover. "Look at this picture of Chuck Smith...he's still riding a motorcycle in his 60's."

You could see the immediate look of relief that washed over my face. It was true. Chuck Smith was a man I very much admired then and continue to admire today. And there he was...on a motorcycle with a big grin on his face! My heartfelt thanks to you, Chuck! When I looked at your smiling face, I realized that the issue of age encompassed more than mere numbers. It was and continues to be...

A Matter of Heart.

4 comments:

Anna said...

Thank you for this. I turn 40 this year and quite frankly I'm terrified! Where did all those years go? I don't feel my age most of the time, I still feel 30. But there's nothing I can do about it so I might as well accept it but not conform to a stereotype or be confined by it. I want to live in the freedom of Christ no matter what my age. Blessings,

Deborah said...

I'm 52 and just wish my body would quit fighting with itself and get on with the next phase of life!
Thanks for visiting my blog and following. You have so much on your blog it will take me awhile to look at it all!

Jan Cline said...

Love this post and love your blog. Im 56 and just getting started living my dream!

Pamela said...

53 used to sound old to me...then I heard that 50 was the new 30 and I feel so much better--in my heart--I'm not sure what the aches and pains are from. Ha!