Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Status or Purpose?

You know how when you read a book, it will sometimes have an asterik next to a word so that you will know to go to the bottom of the page and read an excerpt of sorts?

Well, I know that I said I would go into detail a bit RE: The "Do It" Church. And I will. But I wanted to share something with you first.

I heard somebody say something today that really stuck with me. He said:
"Some people are more concerned with changing their status than discovering their purpose."

That is so true. We are so self focussed. Everything is about us. Me, me, me. It is certainly understandable. I mean, we grew up with ourselves. The entire view of the world is seen through our eyes. Of course it is natural that we are self centered. Sounds awful though, doesn't it?

Fortunately, God already understands all that about us. He did, after all, create us. He gets it. But He doesn't want us to continue in that state. His desire for us, as His adopted children, is to become God-Centered. When we do that, we are taking the first step to a willingness to discover the purpose He has for us.

Problem. Did I say problem? No. More like problems...plural.

In my impatience to be significant and fulfilled in life, I preempt God's purpose for me with a status or station of my own making. Obviously, different things will be important to different people. For example, some peoples status are significantly strengthened in their estimation, by:

* Relationships
* Careers
* Titles
* Money
* Power

* And more...

God wants to do something in us, for us and for others by using us. The question is...will we let Him? What is more important? Our...

Status or Purpose?

2 comments:

Clint said...

When God admonished us to "have no other gods before Me", he was talking about _____= titles, money, power, adulation, etc, etc, etc.

I try to constantly put God first in all things. Being human, I don't always succeed, but I'm slowly getting better! Great post!

Sharon said...

Oh Shay, SO good.

I like to think that I don't care too much about status. But, if I'm totally honest (ouch!), I often care WAY TOO MUCH about what other people think about me. In some ways, that deep-seated need to be thought about, to be approved of and validated, to be liked...well, that really is just self-focus, isn't it?? I'm trying to really give this one to God - I'm working on it (or rather, He's really working on it in me!). I need to be "significantly strengthened" by Him ALONE. Thanks for reminding me of that...

GOD BLESS!