Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Witness: The Living Martyr

Okay, okay... you think I'm going to talk about people who live like victims. Nope. How about, instead of having you guess what I'm going to say, I just tell you? Isn't that just a great idea?
I thought you'd think so. Well, I suppose I could start out by telling you that the martyr thought did cross my mind when I wished I could die. But, I must say, that's not really martyrdom. That's just wanting to escape pain and hoping that death would bring relief. Been there, done that. Well, obviously I didn't complete the process or I wouldn't be here right now. Anyway. We were talking about martyrs.

I always thought a true martyr was someone who died for their faith. Did you know that the Greek word for martyr is actually, "witness"? Yeah. Witness. Technically and originally, the process of bearing witness was not intended to lead to the death of a person, although that was oftentimes the result. As time passed and more and more people died for their faith, the word "martyr" was equated with a person who endured suffering and/or death on account of the witness they held for their religious belief.

But think about it. In the original Greek form, the word simply meant: Witness. My question for myself and for you is, "Are we martyrs, right now?" "Are we witnesses for our faith?" We can be, but do we choose to be a...

Witness: A Living Martyr

No comments: