Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Greatness Gauge...

Someone once said:
A mans greatness is measured by what it takes to discourage him.

I like that. Yes, I realize there are always exceptions. A person isn't exactly at their best when they are ill or battling hormonal fluctuations which make them want to scream one minute and break down in tears the next. The quote above is simply referring to your relatively healthy individual. And yes, I realize some people will be "pre-disposed" to a nature that lends itself to more easily combating the discouragement battle.

A few months ago I was reading about the importance of loosing weight. Alas, that is a topic that millions of us struggle with. But I have to say, I just wanted to hug whoever wrote the article I was reading. They made the comment that, yes...it is definitely important to exercise, eat well and keep your weight at a normal range - but they also brought to my attention the fact that when people are overweight it can actually be helpful to a point.

Of course, my ears perked up immediately. What was this person talking about? I mean, yeah...they made it clear that a normal weight range is what we should always be shooting for if we're not there already. However, while we are in the "overweight zone"...keep in mind the fact that all the extra weight we are carrying is actually potentially strengthening our bones...so that when we do loose the excess weight, we just may find that our bones have been strengthened a bit in the process.

How true is that? I don't know...but it does illustrate a true principal that can be applied to many areas of our lives. How's that? A truly great person doesn't make excuses. A truly great person is great in spite of the odds stacked against him. As a matter of fact, when things are bleak and he/she refuses to let discouragement defeat them...they become even stronger. Remember:

A Man's Greatness is Measured by What is Takes to Discourage Him. It is:

The Greatness Gauge.

No comments: